Friday, October 9, 2009

How Many Ways Can I Paint This??




So I've promised to donate a painting for my old church which they are getting ready to tear down. I told a friend in the Women's Group that I would try to do a painting of the old crucifix that's currently hanging in the church. They are having a fundraising dinner in November where they have a silent and live auction with a little entertainment thrown in. I thought it's going to be tough but it's worth a try and for a good cause(funds go towards the building of a new church). I've got tons of pictures that I took of the cross.
Now I find myself in a quandary....how do I paint this crucifix? I can't just do it as a straight across copy of a photo that's never been my style. I want to try to make it special for that church member that puts a bid on it. Make it special for the old church too. But I'm struggling with painting the human form. I've only been painting for about 5 years. It's going to be a challenge.
Then I think I can go on the Internet and get some ideas on how to paint this.... You see some of what I saw on sites above. WOW! It's rather overwhelming the different ways that the crucifix has been done, and well, now I'm really questioning about where and how to begin. I also am feeling more and more overwhelmed. I might have bitten off more than I can chew! But we'll see--- I might yet be able to pull it off, and I have surprised myself in the past.

No comments: