|"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.23"|
Oil on 12" x 12" Wooden Panel
Monday, February 28, 2011
Thursday, February 24, 2011
|"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No. 22"|
Poured Watercolor on 9" x 10" Paper
|Porch painting in process- 3rd application of masking is drying after pouring the blue paint.|
|Porch painting in process-- after the red paint was poured and before the masking was removed.|
Monday, February 21, 2011
It's been a productive President's Holiday weekend. These three day weekends are always nice to have and I managed to finish up these two porch paintings. I also managed to start 2 more paintings today. I hope to finish those soon and have pictures to show soon. If you would like to view the progress of this art project or you would like to purchase a porch painting please visit the 100 Salt Lake City Porches page. I welcome any feedback you may have.
|"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.20"|
Oil on 12" x 12" Wrapped Canvas
|"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.21"|
Poured watercolor on 8" x 10" paper
Thursday, February 17, 2011
|"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.19" - Poured watercolor on 6.5" x 9" paper|
Thursday, February 10, 2011
|"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.18"- Poured watercolor on 9" x 12" paper|
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
|"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.17"- Poured watercolor on 10" x 11" paper|
|"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.17" - in process taped on glass before masking was removed.|
|Colleen taking a photo of the porch painting before I left class.|
I did end up coming home and touching up because I had masked over the mail box and address area where there were penciled in. I went over that real quick when I got home and the finished product is at the top.
I also had Colleen help me with another porch painting that I still have a bit more work to do before I show it here. I hope to finish that tomorrow night. Oh, by the way, I'm also working on another porch painting in oil. Yep, the great American past time-- multi-tasking! Life doesn't get any better than multi-tasking a favorite hobby!
|Colleen overseeing Ann's progress on a poured watercolor painting.|
Friday, February 4, 2011
|"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.16" - Oil on 8" x 10" Canvas|
Thursday, February 3, 2011
|"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.15"- watercolor on 8.5" x 11" paper|
Out of necessity, Colleen said we will limit this month's watercolor painting class to the Chinese style of pouring on. The one color at a time does not work well in a class situation because it needs more time. There is a waiting for one color to dry completely before you pour another color. But she did suggest that we try this style as homework.
Next, Colleen did a demo of the Chinese watercolor pouring on style. She had all ready drawn and masked off the white areas of ducks in a pond. She then mixed 3 paints in separate cups; one blue, one red, and another yellow. She misted the sketched/masked off paper with her spray bottle. Then, she poured the blue in the area of the painting that would mainly be blue. Then, she poured with the yellow paint cup the areas that would be yellow or possibly green with overlapping of the blue. She took her fingers and moved the paint around on the paper to mix in certain areas. Also, dropping some of the paint in other areas for spots of green or yellow. Next she poured on the red paint in areas that the red would be. Then, took her fingers again and moved paint around on the paper mixing. She also took a straw and did some blowing through it to move paint around showing the different effects. Then, she took some paper towels and absorbed some of the extra paint.
As the painting started to dry Colleen showed us how we could do interesting things to the painting as it dried. She showed how we could take a thirsty brush and pick up paint to almost make pale white areas with gentle edges; unlike the harsher edges that masking achieves. She also put salt (both table & sea salt) on the painting. Then, there was an application of saran wrap to make subtle effects. I was getting excited by all of the possibilities~!
I then started my own pouring on painting. I had all ready drawn and quickly did a bit of masking while I mixed my 3 cups of paint. When it was time for the actually pouring on I quickly discovered that it was harder than it looked! I ended up with a bit of a psychedelic mess! But with some work and some wet to dry painting, I finally ended up with the above painting which was a pleasant surprised. But I think this is going to be a learning curve type of thing.