Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"100 SLC Porches, No.17"

"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.17"- Poured watercolor on 10" x 11" paper
This porch painting I had started on Monday night when the gym ended up being closed for the night.  This is a poured watercolor where I did one color at a time.  First, I drew in the porch lightly and double taped the paper to a piece of glass.  I masked all of the areas that I wanted to be white.  Then while that was drying I mixed up the yellow.  I poured the yellow paint all over.  I poured off the excess yellow paint off by standing it up in a plastic tub.  I wiped the bottom and left the painting to dry overnight. 

"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.17" - in process taped on glass before masking was removed.
Tuesday night, I masked off those parts that I wanted to be yellow.  Then, when the masking was dry; I poured the blue.  I added more water with my mop brush to the sky area moved the paint around to create somewhat cloud sky affect.  I again stood the painting upright in the plastic tub; letting all the excess paint run off.  I let that dry.  Then, I masked off the areas that I wanted to keep blue or green.  I let that dry overnight and took it to water coloring class tonight to finish with the last color-- Red.  I borrowed Ann's little dropper and proceeded to drop the mixed red paint on the painting.  I moved some of the paint around with my fingers over the masking to get in the cracks of areas between the masking.  I teased Ann & Colleen that this was much like finger painting and I was having fun.

Colleen taking a photo of the porch painting before I left class.
 Colleen thought that it looked like an En caustic painting before I removed the masking and asked for me to take a picture of it before we took the masking off.  She was so excited to see the painting that she was helping me to remove the masking right along with me.  I was cracking up the whole time.  She kind of reminded me of a kid in the candy store.  She even took a picture of the painting before I left class.  She thought that it was pretty cool.

I did end up coming home and touching up because I had masked over the mail box and address area where there were penciled in.  I went over that real quick when I got home and the finished product is at the top.

I also had Colleen help me with another porch painting that I still have a bit more work to do before I show it here.  I hope to finish that tomorrow night.  Oh, by the way, I'm also working on another porch painting in oil.  Yep, the great American past time-- multi-tasking!  Life doesn't get any better than multi-tasking a favorite hobby!

Colleen overseeing Ann's progress on a poured watercolor painting.

No comments: