Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"100 SLC Porches, No.93, 94, & 95"

It was a productive Thanksgiving Holiday.  I took advantage of the time off... got in a couple of bike rides, did some reading and managed to fit some painting time in too.  You could say it was my ideal vacation.  Here's the latest in the porch painting scene...
"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.93"; Watercolor on 11" x14" Yupo.
  I watched this house come into my friend Diane's neighborhood.  The old house that used to be on the same plot of land came down in less than three days, and I've been watching this new striking and modern house come into being.  It's energy efficient and has solar panels.  It also has a very interesting angular appearance.  I limited the pallet for this watercolor to just three colors- cadmium orange, french ultramarine blue, and dioxazine purple.  I took the photo of this porch and the next one just after the first November snow.  In fact, these two porches (#93 & #94) are on the same street. 
"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.94"; Watercolor on 10" x 13" Paper
I was thinking of the transition between Halloween to Thanksgiving and then on to Christmas when I took the photo for this porch.  There was a fresh layer of snow that seemed to catch the world by surprised.  I thought the combination of snow covered pumpkins, the tree topiaries and the red shutters/ front door just made me think about the transition through the holidays.  I also liked how this porch is more like a deck on the front of the house.  It's an extension of living space even though the furniture on this "front deck" had a layer of snow on it when I took the photo.
"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.95"; Oil on 12" x 12" Canvas.
I've been admiring this porch for awhile now and had hoped to have captured it earlier while all of the potted plants/flowers were in their summer fullness.  But each time I went by I never seemed to be with a camera in hand being on my way to some event in the downtown area.  I took a quick photo this last week after the snow melted.  Leaves had blown and scattered covering most of the lawn but I think it just added to the wonderful rich color of this porch.  Check out the progress of the 100 Salt Lake City Porches (or to purchase one), click here.  I welcome any feedback you may have.  Thank you for stopping by!

No comments: