Tuesday, July 5, 2011

"100 SLC Porches, No.59 & No.60"

It's definitely a patriotic theme with these two porches...

"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.59"
Watercolor on 11" x 14" Yupo
"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.60"
Watercolor on 11" x 14" Hot Pressed Paper
Porch No.59, I spotted a while back while on a bike ride during a pretty May Day while in the Canyon Rim area of the Salt Lake Valley.  I've been saving it for the patriotic time of year.  I loved how the big trees in the front yard kind of framed the upper area of the porch.  It's more of a side porch that runs the front length of the house.  I did this in a bit of a puddle wash on yupo; which is not an easy thing to do on yupo because yupo is a very slick type surface where the water REALLY puddles up and it must be kept still till the water drys.

Porch No.60 is an older home in the Taylorsville area of the Salt Lake Valley and I thought it might be fun to do it as a red, white, & blue theme to keep it patriotic even more.  I really got the idea from a painting that my friend & teacher Colleen Reynolds did.  It was a scene where everything was blue & white except for a guy that was wearing a t-shirt that had a flag themed print on it.  Colleen added the color red to that section of the painting.  I was very fascinated the first time I saw the painting and I thought that this porch was a good candidate for this style.  I started with a light flat wash of blue and built up.  The last thing I did was add the red color.

To view the progress of ( or to purchase one of) 100 Salt Lake City Porches, please click here.  I welcome any feedback you may have.  Thank you for visiting my art blog.

No comments: