Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Struggling with #49...

I’ve been struggling with porch #49 for awhile now. It’s an oil that I’ve started over and over and over; 4 times now. It’s just not coming together and not looking right to me. It’s a version of painter’s block? Maybe.  But I’m thinking I’m going to put it off to the side for later. Perhaps just start another painting tonight; maybe a watercolor. These things happen sometime for some unknown reason and I think I just need to back off from it and give it a bit of rest.


"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.36"; Oil on 8" x 10" Canvas

In the meantime, some of you may remember porch #36 where I asked the “chicken or the egg” question. Was the yellow trim first or were the pair of beautiful yellow forsythia trees? Well, the answer to the $ 64 question is…” the forsythia came first planted by the previous owner....and ironically I painted in the fall without even thinking about them matching!!!” ...a direct quote from current owner Deborah.


I’ve really had fun with this project and most of the fun has come from meeting and talking with the porch owners. Each porch and house has its own stories. And there have been porch owners from all kinds of backgrounds and with a wide base of interests. There’s some I could spent the afternoon with a cold ice tea hanging out on their porch talking with. In fact, the more and more I think about it. I would like to put little stories about the porches and houses in a book along with pictures of the 100 Salt Lake City Porches Art Project. I think it would make a very interesting book. I want to thank the porch owners that I’ve met and I look forward to those that I hope to meet.

No comments: