Thursday, May 19, 2011

"100 SLC Porches, No.43 & No.44"

"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.43"
Poured Watercolor on 10" x 14" Paper
This wonderful porch is located over in the Federal Heights area of Salt Lake City.  What drew me to this porch were the flower pots placed on each corner of the wide open porch, and the flowered wreath on the door.  I used the colors of indigo blue, medium yellow, and a 50-50 mix of permanent rose with cad. red.  I had fun with this poured watercolor and I hope it shows!

"100 Salt Lake City Porches, No.44"
Watercolor on 10" x 13" Paper
This porch was nestled near the Canyon Rim area neighborhood.  I chose a bit of a different approach for painting it.  I started with a flat wash of medium yellow and built from there with cerulean blue and raw sienna.  I felt that this style fit well with the simple clean lines of the porch.  There's just something about a yellow house!  I can't explain it but I seem to be drawn to yellow houses.  This porch captured my eye with its simplicity and I also liked the weather vane in the front yard. That color yellow just draws me in; maybe its from growing up with a warm yellow kitchen that always seemed to be the center of activity?  But I will try to not go overboard on the yellow, I'll try to pace myself and balance out the colors of the porches.  I promise!  But please check out the progress of the porches on this page.  I welcome any feedback you may have.  Thanks for visiting! 

No comments: